Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring is finally here!!!

Spring is in the air and the wonder of rebirth and new growth is just ramping up. What a wonderful time to enjoy the creation!

Our garden this year will be simplified over previous years. The focus is increasing seedstock of expensive items, testing growing techniques, and finding more varieties that thrive in our area. As such, one bed equivalent (4x40') is fully devoted to garlic that was spring planted. Typically garlic will be fall planted to emerge even in freezing conditions the next spring (one volunteer is already 4-5" tall). The garlic will increase an expensive seedstock, and test the growth potential of spring planted garlic. FUN!!!

My daughter and I have also planted a full bed of peas. They are grown in two rows and I will use rebar, recycled water pipe, and recycled fencing for the trellis. Some of the peas will be a bit thick as the "one at a time" lesson is difficult to teach to a two year old. Oh well, the seed was cheap and I had a good laugh about it.

One more bit of excitement is my next door neighbor is digging a garden. It is her first garden ever and she is starting the hard way with just a shovel, but making good progress. Just so you don't think I'm a jerk, I did offer to till, but she declined with the comment that she may change her mind. Always nice to talk with another gardener. I find it's hard NOT to get along with gardeners and those who fish or hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment